License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

More on Draco Malfoy

A couple of months ago, I posted my take on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. In that post, I compared a choice made by Draco Malfoy to the choice made by Saruman, when Gandalf confronted him in his tower, after the fall of Sauron. (Which episode was, most unfortunately, left out of the Peter Jackson movie.)

This comparison hasn't sat well with one of my readers, who sees Malfoy as, at least in part, a victim of circumstances, and she has given me evidence, from J. K. Rowling's own mouth, that Draco isn't as totally despicable as I portrayed him. I guess I was looking for somebody totally and completely bad in the Potter series, and wasn't sure that Snape would fill that role, so fixed on Malfoy.

The evidence is in the second part of a long interview with Rowling, toward the bottom. Here's the most relevant part: "Harry is correct in believing that Draco would not have killed Dumbledore . . ."

Thanks, daughter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that the confrontation between Sauron and Gandalf that you are speaking of was cut out of the theatre version, but was kept in the extended edition. Gandalf breaks Saurons staff and banishes him from the Order of Wizards. It's been a while since I've seen it (and only once), but I'm pretty sure it's there. - Jon Brady