License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What is a church, and what should members do?

A must read post (not by me) on the nature of the church, and the role of the Christian. For more on these matters, see here.

5 comments:

Rob Rumfelt said...

This is classic Emergent. I feel a great deal of caution needs to be used when discussing these issues. While I personally empathize with these people's frustrations regarding the modern church, I'm not sure they're heading in the right direction.

A lot of their reactions stem from a personal dissatisfaction, a sense of the church not meeting "my" needs. Unfortunately, the focus is on the self.

Much prayer is needed here.

Martin LaBar said...

I don't know much about Emergent thinking. You are right about the prayer, for sure. A lot of it seemed to be about doing Christ's bidding, not "my" needs. Perhaps I misread.

Rob Rumfelt said...

The whole Emerging/Emergent issue is quite confusing. The crux of the movement, from what I can glean from my limited reading, seems to be a deep dissatisfaction with modern churches, including the megas and the mainline denominations. But instead of working within the church to effect change, many are electing to leave and form "home churches" or other combinations of like-minded individuals.

There is a distinct psychotherapeutic, new-age feel to much of the movement which raises red flags in my mind. I don't feel that Christianity needs another Reformation at this time.

But, as in all things, I bow to our God's will.

If you do any further reading in this area, I would value reading your thoughts.

God Bless.

Pilgrim said...

Sometimes when I read all these postings about the church, I think of Tony Campolo's book about people who disagree with his positions--"Partly Right," I think it was called. Some more than others.
I also think the blogger had good points to make.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Julana. I'm part of the church, or I hope I am, and I need to make her as Christ-like, or Christ's bride-like, as possible.