License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Things I'm thankful for, 3

Taxes. (I'm not wanting to be thankful for more of them, but being taxed proves that someone thinks I have resources, and tax money provides some types of protection, infrastructure, and support for me, my family, and the community.)
Romans 13:7 Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed. (ESV)

Spam. (I'm not asking for more, but getting spam proves that someone out there can communicate with me.)

Weeds. (I'm not asking for more, but having them proves that things can grow, and being able to spot them means that I have some measure of intelligence. Being able to get rid of them means that I have some manual dexterity or ingenuity.)

I'm also thankful for chocolate, jicama, bananas, grapes, melons, applesauce, carrots, and lots of other plant foods.

Ice cream, whipped topping, pudding and yogurt, frozen and otherwise.

TV (at least some of the time), basketball, good roads, dependable city workers that remove trash and recyclables, repair water lines, and the like.

Health insurance (would that everybody in the US had it!) and medical personnel that usually seem to really want to fix problems.

Teeth, air conditioning, grass, ball point pens, checks, church, and electricity.

Eyes, vision, my opthalmologist, and people who make bifocals.

And, of course, I am, I hope, not thankful in the abstract, but thankful to God.

See previous posts, here and here, on this subject. I'm trying to be thankful for some things that I take for granted too much. I am also thankful for you, the reader.

(Addendum, November 20, 2006) See also some future posts (Thanks, Blogger!) on my gratitude for over a year of blogging, and for Carbon atoms. I also thank Rebecca for suggesting that November be a month of blogger gratitude emphasis. Here's another post (by me) on something I'm thankful for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are told in I Thessalonians 5:18, 'in every thing give thanks'. We do sometimes forget to be thankful for those things we take for granted.

I read all 3 posts, and it seems you've covered most everything! I especially like the one about the Ophthalmologist, since my daughter is a technician for one.

ablueslenz said...

Just saw this blog entry! I love it because it certainly reminds me of the things I should acknowledge "thanks for" but seemingly take for granted.

Martin LaBar said...

Thank you!

I'm amazed that anyone found this, after over seven years. I guess I'm thankful for that.