License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Prayers in the Bible: Jesus, praying that God's will be done

Matthew 26:39 He went forward a little, fell on his face, and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from me; nevertheless, not what I desire, but what you desire.”

42 Again, a second time he went away, and prayed, saying, “My Father, if this cup can’t pass away from me unless I drink it, your desire be done.” (WEB)

These two verses are part of the same episode. Jesus is praying to be excused from dying on the Cross. Understandably? Or not -- He was God, after all! But the bottom line is that He wanted to do the right thing, and we are all, potentially, at least, infinitely better off for that act of obedience. Thank You for doing what You didn't want to do!

This is part of a series on Prayers in the Bible. The previous post is here. Thanks for reading.

No comments: