License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Did animals eat meat before the flood?

Young-earth creationist Todd Wood thinks so, and he cites a paper in a young-earth creationism journal to back up his claim. I found the claim that animals did eat meat before the flood remarkable. Genesis 9, after the flood, states that humans were free to eat meat, but Genesis 1 seems to indicate that, at least prior to the fall, we were not to do so. (The article I have linked to below has more on what Genesis says about this issue.)

I am writing this in late 2011, and I can see this article here, in the January 2011 issue of this journal, although there are warnings that only members can see it before 2012. (This practice of restricting immediate access is fairly common, not unique to Creation Matters.)

Thanks for reading. I have a post, here, on the subject of whether Christians are required to be vegetarians.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read Todd Wood's blog. Is he not imposing dated materials on a section of the book that tells a story that no scholar can give you a good date for? I think he's imposing modern science on ancient literature.

atlibertytosay said...

The Creation Museum has significant evidence that meat was NOT eaten before the fall of man.

I don't see who has ever argued about BEFORE the flood.

Just my 2 cents on the topic … I think animals needed (or were given by God) a time to propagate; hence a reason there wasn't meat eating.

Martin LaBar said...

Todd Wood is a young-earth creationist with solid scientific credentials (a rarity). His basic assumption is a young earth. All else comes after that.

All I can say is that Wood, and at least one other young-earth creationist (see the article) believe that meat was eaten before the fall.

Pete D said...

Wood is delusional. There was no global flood. There wasn't even a regional flood that could be somehow referenced by the langauge of Genesis.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Pete D.

We're all delusional about some things, I guess. Unfortunately, we don't know what our delusions are. At least I don't think I do.

I'm inclined to doubt that there was a global flood, myself.

Pete D said...

I'm not so sure about everyone having some sort of delusion. In any case, that's not a good reason to seriously consider someone else's delusions.

Pete D said...

Although I haven't commented in a while, I still read and find your perspectives interesting! Hope you had a good Christmas!

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Pete D. I did. I haven't been blogging as much for the last few months.

No, we have enough delusions of our own, but I think humility, and at least a little bit of skepticism about our own beliefs, is always in order.

For example, in this post: http://sunandshield.blogspot.com/2012/01/race-science-and-medical-ethics.html, I commented, as the author did, on the delusion that the cell/tissue cultures of prominent scientists in the field were not contaminated, when it turned out that most of them were.