License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Monday, April 27, 2020

Cheese in the Bible

According to the Wikipedia, cheese-making goes back perhaps as much as 10,000 years. During that time, several methods and materials have been used -- just look at the cheese display in a good grocery store. (Maybe you should wait a while to do this.)

I did a search for "cheese" in the Bible, and found just three mentions, as follows:

1 Samuel 17:18 ... and bring these ten cheeses to the captain of their thousand; and see how your brothers are doing, and bring back news.” (This is part of the story of David and Goliath. All scripture from the World English Bible, public domain.)

2 Samuel 17:29 ... honey, butter, sheep, and cheese of the herd, for David, and for the people who were with him, to eat; for they said, “The people are hungry, weary, and thirsty in the wilderness.” (This is when David and those loyal to him left Jerusalem to escape Absalom and his followers. A rich man fed the group.)
 
Job 10:10 Haven’t you poured me out like milk, and curdled me like cheese? (Part of Job's long complaint.)

I expected to find more references, but that was it. As far as I know, no one knows for sure what kind of cheese is referred to in any of these verses.

Thanks for reading! Eat some cheese.

2 comments:

Ted LaBar said...

Cheese! A topic worthy of a Wisconsin (America's Dairyland) native such as yourself. I don't think I had ever noticed a reference to cheese in the Bible.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Ted. I've been thinking about cheese in the Bible for a while, and finally decided to do something about it.