License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Diary of an Old Soul, May 28 - June 3

28. For, that great freedom how should such as I
Be able to imagine in such a self?
Less hopeless far the miser man might try
To image the delight of friend-shared pelf.
Freedom is to be like thee, face and heart;
To know it, Lord, I must be as thou art,
I cannot breed the imagination high.

29. Yet hints come to me from the realm unknown;
Airs drift across the twilight border land,
Odoured with life; and as from some far strand
Sea-murmured, whispers to my heart are blown
That fill me with a joy I cannot speak,
Yea, from whose shadow words drop faint and weak:
Thee, God, I shadow in that region grand.

30. O Christ, who didst appear in Judah land,
Thence by the cross go back to God's right hand,
Plain history, and things our sense beyond,
In thee together come and correspond:
How rulest thou from the undiscovered bourne
The world-wise world that laughs thee still to scorn?
Please, Lord, let thy disciple understand.

31. 'Tis heart on heart thou rulest. Thou art the same
At God's right hand as here exposed to shame,
And therefore workest now as thou didst then--
Feeding the faint divine in humble men.
Through all thy realms from thee goes out heart-power,
Working the holy, satisfying hour,
When all shall love, and all be loved again.

JUNE. 1. FROM thine, as then, the healing virtue goes
Into our hearts--that is the Father's plan.
From heart to heart it sinks, it steals, it flows,
From these that know thee still infecting those.
Here is my heart--from thine, Lord, fill it up,
That I may offer it as the holy cup
Of thy communion to my every man.

2. When thou dost send out whirlwinds on thy seas,
Alternatest thy lightning with its roar,
Thy night with morning, and thy clouds with stars
Or, mightier force unseen in midst of these,
Orderest the life in every airy pore;
Guidest men's efforts, rul'st mishaps and jars,--
'Tis only for their hearts, and nothing more.

3. This, this alone thy father careth for--
That men should live hearted throughout with thee--
Because the simple, only life thou art,
Of the very truth of living, the pure heart.
For this, deep waters whelm the fruitful lea,
Wars ravage, famine wastes, plague withers, nor
Shall cease till men have chosen the better part.

The above is excerpted from George MacDonald's A Book of Strife in the Form of The Diary of an Old Soul (Public Domain, 1880). For further information see this post. These are the entries for/from May 28 through June 3. I'm posting this on Saturday, as I don't expect to be able to post anything on Sunday, or read your blogs, either. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your postings make me realize I've not read near as much George MacDonald as I should have. I'll be visiting _The Princess and the Goblin_ this summer with my children, though: a second visit for me, a first for them.

From this post, I love this line: "Freedom is to be like thee, face and heart."

Thank you for arousing a latent curiosity: there is definitely more of Mr. MacDonald in my future.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks! That's a good line.

Martin LaBar said...

Someone (perhaps a spammer) made an anonymous comment, wishing to use some of my post. The material is taken from MacDonald's book, which is public domain, so you are free to use it.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

Do you want to watch the green hornet? It is not released yet but you can watch it already!

Click here to [url=http://watch-thegreenhornet-online.com/watch-the-green-hornet-online-free.php]watch the green hornet online[/url]