License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

I Am Not Skilled to Understand

I am not skilled to understand
What God hath willed, what God hath planned;
I only know that at His right hand
Is One Who is my Savior!
I take Him at His word indeed;
“Christ died for sinners”—this I read;
For in my heart I find a need
Of Him to be my Savior!
That He should leave His place on high
And come for sinful man to die,
You count it strange? So once did I,
Before I knew my Savior!
And oh, that He fulfilled may see
The travail of His soul in me,
And with His work contented be,
As I with my dear Savior!
Yea, living, dying, let me bring
My strength, my solace from this Spring;
That He Who lives to be my King
Once died to be my Savior!
Words: Dorothy Greenwell, 1873. Music: “Greenwell,” William J. Kirkpatrick, 1885
See the Cyber Hymnal for an audible rendition of the music.

8 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I know you aren't blogging as much as normal right now - - - so perhaps you haven't seen on my blog that mom did go to Heaven early Friday morning. She is whole and well again after more than 50 years.

Martin LaBar said...

Not any, actually. The most recent posts were all pre-published.

God's best to you, your father, and family at this time. It's never easy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inspiration. Love your blog: interesting / inspiring spiritual subjects presented well along with interesting science.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, intrigued american (nice screen name, by the way)!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Martin for this. I didn't know this hymn and I love the way it's written. Who knows, maybe our church will sing it one day!

Martin LaBar said...

Maybe so, Sue, UK.

Thanks.

j a n said...

Thanks for posting this beautiful hymn. It's a great reminder about the "main thing" - Jesus is our Savior!

Martin LaBar said...

Sept 2: Thanks, Jan. I'm on hiatus, so haven't seen any of your posts lately.