License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Isaiah: some thoughts on origins

Isaiah 45:7 I form light and create darkness,
I make well-being and create calamity,
I am the Lord, who does all these things. (ESV)

Isaiah is speaking for God here, of course. There are two very interesting ideas here. First, the passage speaks as if God created darkness, not as if darkness is merely the absence of light. Is this poetry, or is this a description of how and what God created? I don't know.

Second, God speaks as if he created calamity, or problems. Interesting, to be sure.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: