License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Oswald Chambers, artist, pianist, and general all-round intellectual

I have heard of Oswald Chambers, and especially of, and occasionally from, My Utmost for His Highest, for many years. Kerry, of Beautiful Feet (a good blog -- a quick read -- down to here would be an average post for Kerry) suggested, a few times, during a seminar series that he was giving, that it would also be good to read a biography of Chambers.

I have now read My Utmost, and also the biography. Thanks, Kerry!

The biography is by David McCasland. It is Oswald Chambers: Abandoned to God. The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest. Grand Rapids, MI: Discovery House, 1993. I expected to read of Chambers' devotional life, and about the writing of My Utmost. I did read that. But I didn't expect to read that Chambers was a bona fide intellectual, and believed in the importance of art, music, philosophy and literature as ways of reaching others, and of improving himself.

Chambers influenced a woman who turned out to be a staunch colleague by his piano playing.

Here's something Chambers said about the matter of using the intellect:
The kingdom of the aesthetics lies in a groveling quagmire, half fine, half impure; there is a crying need for a fearless preacher of Christ in the midst of that kingdom, for a fearless writer, writing with the blood of Christ, proclaiming His claims in the midst of that kingdom, for a fearless lecturer above pandering to popular taste, to warn and exhort that all the kingdoms of this world are to become Christ's -- that artists, poets and musicians be good and fearless Christians. (p. 41-42 of McCasland. from a letter written by Chambers in 1895.)

Chambers was a thinker, and read philosophy. The biography closes with a number of poems by Chambers, on a number of subjects. I am not qualified to assess them, but they seem good to me.

Thanks, Kerry! You were right, Oswald Chambers.

Thanks for reading. Read Chambers.

No comments: