License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Alternative to iGoogle

iGoogle, which has enabled me to have a home page that shows, or links to, almost everything I use, is going away for good in November.

I have previously posted on alternatives to this program. Currently, I am using FVD Speed Dial in parallel with iGoogle, and have come to rely on it.

FVD Speed Dial, which lets me set up a screen full of icons that I make, from the web site's web page. I have set my FVD page up to open automatically whenever I open a new tab. My FVD Speed Dial page can be synchronized across computers. The program is free, and works with both Firefox and Google Chrome. I see 18 icons -- meaning links to 18 web pages, on opening, and can scroll down to 12 more. I could add more icons (or speed dials) if I want to.

I have posted previously on other replacements to iGoogle.

Thanks for reading.

8 comments:

Pilgrim said...

That's interesting. I liked iGoogle, but quit using it when I heard they were phasing it out. It was helpful.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks. I'm hanging on to it as long as I can.

FancyHorse said...

My att.net (affiliated with Yahoo) has a toolbar I can set up with icons for my favorite websites. It uses the icon of each site, the B in an orange square for Blogger and the red and blue dots for Flickr, for example. I'm satisfied with it. It meets my needs.

Martin LaBar said...

That sounds like it works fine!

atlibertytosay said...

I think I'll switch to a Yahoo homepage once iGoogle goes down and out.

I've heard rumblings of a protest.

It is very unique and easy to program for.

A decent percentage of my readers for all my websites come from iGoogle right now.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks. I use Google Reader to get to your blog (and also Facebook.)

MadsRH said...

If you want a truly open and free alternative, this might be for you: http://igoogle-replacement.blogspot.com

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, MadsRH.

What you are doing sounds interesting.