License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The Sidonians: a warning

These two passages were among those in my Bible reading for today, October 10:

1 Kings 5:Hiram king of Tyre sent his servants to Solomon; for he had heard that they had anointed him king in the place of his father, and Hiram had always loved David. Solomon sent to Hiram, saying, “You know that David my father could not build a house for the name of Yahweh his God because of the wars which were around him on every side, until Yahweh put his enemies under the soles of his feet. But now Yahweh my God has given me rest on every side. There is no enemy and no evil occurrence. Behold, I intend to build a house for the name of Yahweh my God, as Yahweh spoke to David my father, saying, ‘Your son, whom I will set on your throne in your place shall build the house for my name.’ Now therefore command that cedar trees be cut for me out of Lebanon. My servants will be with your servants; and I will give you wages for your servants according to all that you say. For you know that there is nobody among us who knows how to cut timber like the Sidonians.”

The Sidonians, then, were involved in the building of Solomon's Temple, although they did not come the the Temple site. They were considered, by Solomon, anyway, to be skilled woodcutters, and necessary for his construction. (The Bible sometimes links Tyre and Sidon. I'm not sure of the relationship.) And this:

Ezekiel 32:30 “There are the princes of the north, all of them, and all the Sidonians, who have gone down with the slain. They are put to shame in the terror which they caused by their might. They lie uncircumcised with those who are slain by the sword, and bear their shame with those who go down to the pit.

This is part of a prophecy against several nations, all of them receiving punishment for their unbelief.

I'm not sure whether God judges nations now, as He did in Ezekiel's time. But God does judge individuals. It seems that it is possible to be an asset in Kingdom work, but fall from grace, and be, literally or figuratively, put "down to the pit." May that not happen to me.

Thanks for reading. 

No comments: