License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Meditation in Scripture


I am ashamed to admit that, until this year, I have not thought seriously about the Spiritual Disciplines. (Also called spiritual exercises or spiritual practices.) As I understand these, they are things that believers ought to do regularly, so as to follow Christ, and to be more like him. I began reading a couple of books (see here and here) on the subject a few months ago. Our pastor just finished a short series based on Spiritual Disciplines. The Bible does not have a list of Spiritual Disciplines, and different authors suggest somewhat different lists.

1 Timothy 4:7b ("Exercise yourself toward godliness.") and Philippians 2:12b ("Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.") are two places where the Spiritual Disciplines are alluded to. Reading the Gospels shows us that Jesus practiced at least some of them, especially prayer, submission, service and solitude. Reading Acts shows us that the early church practiced at least prayer, fasting, and service.

Most or all lists of Spiritual Disciplines include Meditation. There is a type of meditation that, although it may have some benefits, is not Christian. Scriptural meditation, however, is not the same thing. It is not “new age.” New age meditation is about you. Scriptural meditation is about God. Meditation, as defined in Webster’s dictionary of 1913, is “To contemplate; to keep the mind fixed upon; to study.” Here are most of the references to meditation in the Bible, using the World English Bible, which is public domain, except as indicated:

Genesis 24:63a Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the evening.

Joshua 1:8a This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it.

Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man who doesn’t walk in the counsel of the wicked, … 2 but his delight is in Yahweh’s law. On his law he meditates day and night.

63:5b My mouth shall praise you with joyful lips, 6 when I remember you on my bed, and think about you in the night watches.

77:11 I will remember [the Lord’s] deeds; … I will remember your wonders of old. 12 I will also meditate on all your work, and consider your doings.

119:15 (Also Psalm 119:78) I will meditate on your precepts, and consider your ways,

23 Though princes … slander me, your servant will meditate on your statutes. 

119:27 Let me understand the teaching of your precepts! Then I will meditate on your wondrous works.

119:48 I reach out my hands for your commandments, which I love. I will meditate on your statutes.

119:97 How I love your law! It is my meditation all day.

119:99b your testimonies are my meditation.

119:148 My eyes stay open through the night watches, that I might meditate on your word.

143:5 I remember the days of old. I meditate on all your doings. I contemplate the work of your hands.

145:5 Of the glorious majesty of your honor, of your wondrous works, I will meditate.

1 Timothy 4:15a Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; (KJV. Here is chapter 4 of 1 Timothy, which indicates what Paul meant by "these things.")

Most of the occurrences of meditation in the Bible refer to the Law, or to various synonyms for it in Psalm 119. Presumably, the authors were referring to the Torah, the first five books of the Bible, because, in many cases, the rest of the Bible hadn't been written.

There are three places, indicated in green above, where the meditation was to be on what God has done.

We don't know what Isaac was meditating about. The first five books of the Bible weren't written, or weren't mostly written in his time.

One of the occurrences above is marked in red. That one seems to say that, if we run into opposition for our faith, the best strategy is to remember God's power, rather than worry about responding.

I should meditate daily. On what? It's a good idea to meditate -- "contemplate; to keep the mind fixed upon; to study" -- on the Bible. One aspect of the Bible that I should meditate on is to meditate on the life, mission, and character of Jesus Christ. (Passages that should help in that are John 15, Philippians 2, Colossians 1, Hebrews 2, and many others.) 1 Timothy 4 seems to indicate that we should meditate on end times*. It's a good idea to remind myself of what God has done for me, and those I care for, daily. It's a good idea to meditate on the wonders, both spectacular and "ordinary," of God's creation.

Thanks for reading. Meditate on Christ, and the Bible. May I do so, too!

*It's probably not wise to let our meditation on end times dwell too much on whether or not there will be a rapture, and, if there is, when it will be, or about the existence and timing of the tribulation. See here. Rather, we should comfort ourselves by remembering that Christ is returning, at some point, that we will have eternal fellowship with Him, that things that are out of sorts will be put right, and that Christ will be recognized as Lord of all. We should probably also meditate on people who are not ready for Christ's return, and what we might do so that they will become so.

No comments: