License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Serious fasting

Deuteronomy 9:17 So I took hold of the two tablets and threw them out of my two hands and broke them before your eyes. 18 Then I lay prostrate before the Lord as before, forty days and forty nights. I neither ate bread nor drank water, because of all the sin that you had committed, in doing what was evil in the sight of the Lord to provoke him to anger. (ESV) (This is Moses, speaking to the Israelites, shortly before he died.)

This was serious fasting, and, I would think, in part miraculous. I don't believe that anyone could survive for forty days and nights without any water, without God's help. Moses was serious about his cause -- protecting the sinful Israelites from God's just wrath. And, for the time being, anyway, it worked. Perhaps I need to fast more. If I did, with right motives, surely God would help me to fast, too. For forty days and nights? I'm not sure I should do that. Maybe so.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: