License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sunspots 220


Things I have recently spotted that may be of interest to someone else:



Science:
Wired reports that a human egg has now been grown from an immature follicle cell.

Carl Zimmer writes about how complicated living things really are, and how far we are from understanding them.

There's a fascinating report in the New Yorker on obesity -- what causes it, why is it so prevalent?

Computing:
CNet has published the results of a survey on why people respond to spam. (And a lot of us do!)



Image source (public domain)

3 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I heard a Biologist once say (not you) that we are close to answering all the questions. I nearly interrupted him - - - well, not really - - - but I think the more we discover, the more questions we find.

By the way - - - the Loons are "laughing" loudly outside my window as I blog!

Susan Copeland-Yates said...

Hi Dr. LaBar. I enjoy reading your blog and it looks as if you're enjoying retirement as much as you enjoyed teaching. In a way, you're still teaching me, because your posts make me think about all kinds of things I wouldn't normally contemplate!

I recently read a book that I think you may enjoy. It's "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson and the narrator's 'voice' brought you to mind. He (the narrator) writes in a style similar to yours (although he meanders quite a bit more), and he tackles tough theological questions. It's fiction, but very thought provoking. I took several days to read it, putting it down often to think on the concepts presented. You may enjoy it.

Martin LaBar said...

Loons laughing? We don't get that in South Carolina, although there are some loony people (as there are in Wisconsin).

Thanks, Susan. Good to hear from you! I actually did a short post on Gilead, here, some time after reading the book.