License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Prayers in the Bible: Job for his sons

This is part of a planned series on various prayers in the Bible. For the previous post, see here.

Job 1:4 His sons went and held a feast in the house of each one on his birthday; and they sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them. 1:5 It was so, when the days of their feasting had run their course, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, “It may be that my sons have sinned, and renounced God in their hearts.” Job did so continually. (WEB)

I suppose that the burnt offerings were a type of prayer, or that they were accompanied by prayer. Job was concerned for his family. Could his prayer make it not necessary for the sons to ask forgiveness for themselves? I don't think so, but Job was well-intentioned, and his intercession probably prevented his sons from sinning, at least some of the time. Why didn't Job pray for his three daughters, too? I don't know. My guess is that he did, but it wasn't recorded here.

It's pretty basic, but bears repeating -- I need to pray for my family.

No comments: