License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Tuesday, May 05, 2015

R. A. Torrey on how to lose the Baptism of the Holy Spirit

If there is one dread that comes to me more frequently than any other, it is that of losing the power of God. Oh, the agony of having known God’s power, of having been used of Him, and then of having that power withdrawn, to be laid aside as far as any real usefulness is concerned. Men may still praise you, but God can’t use you. To see a perishing world around you and to know there is no power in your words to save. Would not to die be better than that? . . . I see so many men from whom God has departed, men once eminently used of God, I walk with fear and trembling, and cry unto Him daily to keep me from the things that would make the withdrawal of his power necessary. But what those things are I think he has made plain to me, and I have tried in the words here written to make them plain to both you and myself. To sum them up they are these:
1) the surrender of our separation
2) sin
3) self-indulgence
4) greed for money
5) pride
6) the neglect of prayer
7) the neglect of the Word.
Shall we not, by God’s grace, from this time be on our guard against these things, and thus make sure of the continuance of God’s power in our life and service until that glad day comes when we can say with Paul: “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith; henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day, “ (2 Tim. 4:7, 8.) or better yet with Jesus, “I have glorified thee on the earth, having accomplished the work which thou hast given me to do.” (John. 17:4, R. V.)

-Modified slightly from The Baptism of the Holy Spirit by R. A. Torrey. (public domain) Available here, and elsewhere.

1 comment:

Martin LaBar said...

You are welcome.

Thank you for commenting.