License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Impressions, by Martin Wells Knapp, 32

In a previous excerpt, Knapp stated that there are four features of "impressions" from God. These are Scriptural; Right (consistent with good morals); Providential (in harmony with God's will); and Reasonable. His discussion continues:

"The Living God," says George Muller, "is my partner." I have not sufficient wisdom to meet these difficulties, so as to be able to know what steps to take, but He is able to direct me. What I have therefore to do is this: in simplicity to spread my case before my heavenly Father and my Lord Jesus. They are my partners. I have to tell out my heart to God, and as I have no wisdom in myself to meet all the many difficulties which continually occur in my business, I ask Him that He would be pleased to guide and direct me, and supply me with the needful wisdom. Then I have to believe that God will do so, and go with good courage to my business, and expect help from Him in the next difficulty that may come before me. I have to look out for guidance; I have to expect counsel from the Lord, and as assuredly as I do so, I shall have it; I shall find that I am not nominally but really in partnership with the Father and with the Son."

By claiming this guidance Mr. Muller has been enabled to "remove mountains" of difficulty, and God through him has wrought marvels which will inspire the faith and zeal of His children while the world stands.

Frances Ridley Havergal, whose songs and books have thrilled the Christian world, in all things claimed this blessed privilege. Making mention of it in its application to the use of means she says: 

"We look up to our Lord for guidance to lay out His money prudently and rightly, and as He would have us lay it out. The gift or garment is selected under His eye, and with conscious reference to Him as our dear Master, for whose sake we shall give it, or in whose service we shall wear it, and whose own silver and gold we shall pay for it, and then it is all right."

Numberless living witnesses join their testimony to the many who have gone before, that God is a true, sure, constant and wonderful Counselor, and that His guidance is accessible to all who meet the conditions upon which it is promised. 

 
Excerpted from Impressions, by Martin Wells Knapp. Original publication date, 1892. Public domain. My source is here. The previous post in the series is here.

No comments: