License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Thursday, June 13, 2024

Rivers in songs and hymns

I recently posted on the word "river," in the Bible. In this post, I'll remind readers that the word, "river," or a word related to rivers occurs in songs used in worship and praise. The theology of some of these songs may be questioned, but they have had, and will have, their uses.

Down by the Riverside

Shall we gather at the River.

When they ring the golden bells begins with "There's a land beyond the river ...," and has, as part of the chorus, "In that far off sweet forever, Just beyond the shining river, When they ring the golden bells for you and me."

"On Jordan's stormy banks I stand," written by Samuel Stennett.

"Like a River Glorious."

"When Peace, Like a River."

Oh, now I see the Cleansing Wave," which has "The cleansing stream I see, I see" as part of the chorus.

"Down by the River to pray" is much newer than the songs mentioned above. So is "Because He Lives," which includes the phrase, "I'll cross that river ..."

Thanks for reading. Sing, if you are so inclined.


No comments: