License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

This isn't love. . .

This isn't love. Jadera haematoloma couple, on wall

I took this photo of two Jadera haematoloma bugs, which my source tells me are also known as red-shouldered bugs, yesterday. They apparently spend most of their time locked in coitus, attached to each other. For more information on these insects, see here and here. The second source indicates that they are confined to Florida. Well, maybe. Whatever these insects really are, and they look like the photos in the pages I linked to, they seem to be flourishing in San Diego County, California.

Whatever they are doing, it isn't love. It doesn't match any of the four types of love discussed by C. S. Lewis in his The Four Loves.

For the first time in my blogging history, I have included a short video, which is also of these insects.




Happy Valentine's Day to all, especially my dear wife.

4 comments:

Joshua said...

Perhaps you meant confined to Florida?

Martin LaBar said...

I did. Thanks, tap.

Joshua said...

Also—you don't completely explain why it isn't love. Do you think that animals are incapable of love? Do you think C. S. Lewis's definition is all-encompassing?

On a side note, this is the second or third time I've seen this book mentioned in the last week or so. I guess I should check it out.

Martin LaBar said...

No, I didn't say why it isn't love. Love strikes me as a relationship, not just physical coupling, and these animals aren't capable of having relationships.

I don't think Lewis's book on love covers it all, but 4 words covers love better than 1. "Love" often just means "having intercourse" in our society. You can have intercourse without love -- all too many do -- and love without intercourse.

Thanks, Tap.