License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

C. S. Lewis and the arts -- a good post

I have just seen a good post about how C. S. Lewis felt about the arts. The post is really good -- it's got footnotes to its sources!

The author says something that Lewis also believed, namely that Christians should try to be overtly Christian in their art, but should try to be Christian in their life and soul, and, from that, art that expresses Christianity will emerge. He was right.

Thanks for reading. Read the post.

4 comments:

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Great insight! Grateful for it.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Kerry i am.

David said...

Hi Martin,

It is interesting to read this; he must have picked this up from Tolkien! I remember that Tolkien disliked the Narnia storyline and also the overt, clear allegories that Lewis would write ... he preferred something that is fundamentally, deeply Christian, without the explicit symbolism. I think this was something contentious between the two. Do you recall anything like that? I know that the Lord of the Rings, while never explicitly Christian (obviously) is indeed profoundly Christian. I've got an audio lecture by Peter Kreeft (Catholic Philosopher) in which each element of the Apostle's Creed is identified in the LOTR. It's very interesting!

Martin LaBar said...

Yes, David, I remember reading that. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure where I read it. In a book about the Inklings, perhaps.

Thanks.