License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

A definition of Christian speculative fiction

E. Stephen Burnett, of the excellent Speculative Faith blog (there are a few other authors of this blog) has written a post entitled "Define 'Christian Speculative Story.'"

It's an excellent read, if you are interested in this sort of thing, as I am. I have also written about this subject, a few times. The main post is here.

Read Burnett. Perhaps you will read my post, too.

Thanks.

2 comments:

atlibertytosay said...

Interesting that the Book Of Mormon is listed and described as not being Christian Speculative fiction … just as fiction.

While, as you pointed out, the post is informative and interesting … I think posts like this will prevent many from going to the polls this fall.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, atlibertytosay.

I doubt that "Speculative Faith" has such a wide readership that it will have any significance on voting. I seriously doubt that the post was written to influence voting.

Burnett is certainly not the only person who does not believe that Mormonism is Christian. Of course, that depends on one's definition of Christian. Supposing it isn't? Should that be the deciding factor in the election? I don't think so. Policy, and character, and record ought to be the deciding factors. Religious affiliation and practice are part of that, of course, but I can see myself voting for a Mormon over a self-confessed evangelical Christian, depending on the policy and record of the candidates, and on other aspects of their characters.