License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Proverbs 31 in verse

Oh, who can find a virtuous wife,
worth more than lands and gold?
Her husband puts his trust in her,
her value is untold.

She works throughout the day and night
to help her family.
She cares for other people, too--
She hears the poor one's plea.

Her children stand and bless her name,
and hear her father call,
"Of all the women in the world,
you are the best of all!"

Great beauty vanishes with time
and youth will fade away,
but she who fears and worships God
has honor all her days.

I know, it isn't Mother's Day yet. When I was younger, Mother's Day songs were often sung in church. They were mostly pretty sappy. So I decided to take matters into my own hands, or, rather, to put what King Lemuel said to verse. This setting of Proverbs 31:10-31 may be sung to St. Peter, or other common meter tunes.

This describes a high standard, but I have found a virtuous wife. My father, and my late father-in-law, did, too. I believe that my sons-in-law have, too. So have some other relatives and acquaintances, and, I think, the husbands of some of the bloggers I read.

I'll try to get the Creative Commons license to work later, but, in case anyone wants to use this, you are free to do so, but no one should be able to restrict others from using it.

I'm not the world's greatest poet. If you have suggestions for improvement, please leave a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, Martin. I just came across your Prov. 31 in verse. Thanks for sharing it in the blog.