License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Cherokee rose

Cherokee rose with kudzu

And why are ye anxious concerning raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Matthew 6:28-29, ASV. (Similar language is used in Luke 12:27)

Yesterday's post featured blackberry flowers. Today's features another flower currently blooming in upstate South Carolina. This, like the blackberry, is a member of the rose family. I don't have a name for this one that I'm confident of, other than rose.

I am aware that roses aren't lilies. I also know that there is little certainty about what particular plants the Bible is referring to, when specific plants are mentioned. Even so, I don't propose that Jesus was talking about roses here. I am assuming that Jesus' statement applied to more than lilies.

I said I wasn't confident of the name, but this may be a Cherokee Rose. May not, too. I'm not sure. I expect to deal with common names in a future post.

This simple rose has a beauty of its own. So, of course, do showier ones, with more color and more petals.

The green thing going from the lower right to behind the flower is, for those not from here, a kudzu stem. I know what that is. I have to admit that even kudzu has beauty, if you can look at it with an unprejudiced eye. More on that later.

My blog description says that it's "Musings on science . . ." I haven't lived up to that part lately, and this series on what's happening around us here is an attempt to make up for that.

No comments: