License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Butterfly Weed Orange

Butterfly weed full bloom

This flower is a member of the milkweed family. The scientific name is Asclepias tuberosa. (See here for more scientific information)

The linked page says that the root is tough, and was used as a cure for pleurisy by Native Americans. I can attest to the toughness. This beautiful orange perennial grows wild here, and is a common sight along roadways. Several years ago, my wife sent me off on an expedition to dig a few up and transplant them to her flower garden. I dug up 5 or 6, from several locations within a few miles. I don't think I ever got the entire root. That didn't stop the plants from surviving, and I'm guessing that the parts of the roots I left behind also grew and prospered.

A local name is chiggerbush, based on the notion that you can get chiggers from getting near this plant. Maybe. They certainly provide a splash of fairly long-lasting orange color.

If you want a higher-resolution picture, you can get it by clicking on the picture, then finding the different sizes link, at the right, in the source page. (Free Flickr membership may be required.)

No comments: