License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Photo illustrating Psalm 104:24-25

Sea anemones and orange fish

24 O LORD, how
manifold are your works!
In wisdom have you made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.

25 Here is the sea, great and wide,
which teems with creatures innumerable,
living things both small and great. -
Psalm 104, ESV

My wife took this at the Monterey, California, aquarium. I don't know what the name of the orange fish is. The flower-like objects are sea anemones, which are animals belonging to the phylum Cnidaria, as I recall my zoology.

Some scientists think that there are millions of undiscovered species in the ocean, almost all of them smaller than these creatures. Maybe, maybe not. Are all marine species critical to human existence? Surely not, although some of them are important to us. Even if they aren't critical to our existence, as I understand Genesis 1, we have some responsibility to try to prevent them from becoming extinct. Their existence is a sign of God's grace, omnipotence, and glory.

There is a Flickr group of photos, entitled "Divine Creativity." This photo belongs to that group, which, I believe, can be seen by non-Flickr members.

* * * * *

Update, a few hours later: Whoops! I should have said something about God's apparent pleasure in human diversity, which is, I suppose, as remarkable as His pleasure in, say bacterial diversity.

You may want to see the Wikipedia article on biodiversity.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: