License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Consider the lilies, part 2

Anthers and stigma of red lily flower

The photo above is of a lily flower. I thought that it was only right that I include such a picture, since I didn't include it in my post on "Consider the Lilies." The six elongated objects are stamens, coated with pollen. The three-lobed object near the right edge is the stigma, which functions to catch pollen. This photo was not adjusted for color -- that's the way the camera took it, and the way my eye saw it. It is doubtful that people of  the time of Christ would have ever seen such a plant -- I'm pretty sure that it's the result of careful selection and breeding.

The photo is a link to my Flickr photo, where you can see larger sizes, if you wish.

Thanks for looking! I'm returning to more routine, or normal (for me, anyway) matters soon. I've been traveling.

2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Perfect picture of the "essential" parts.

You were very discreet in your description of their functions - - - I on the other hand, would have done more 'splaining.

;-)

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Keetha. Perhaps I should have said more!