License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Sunspots 465

Things I have recently spotted that may be of interest to someone else:
Computing: Wired has some interesting thoughts on replacing car mirrors with cameras.
Literature: A short, but excellent review of the Tales of Goldstone Wood books, by Anne Elisabeth Stengl. I am reading the sixth one of these at the moment.
Philosophy: A review, by a philosopher and Bible scholar, of God's Not Dead (the movie).
Politics: (sort of) The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has produced a Living Wage Calculator. It is apparently adjusted for each county in the US.
From WBUR, in Boston: A report on how increasing income inequality should not be a surprise, based, in part, on Jane Austen and Balzac.

National Public Radio reports on a retiring congressman who says that $174,000 a year is not enough for a member of Congress. He may be right.

Science: NPR on the importance of whale poop to ocean life. It's critical.
 
Image source (public domain)

2 comments:

FancyHorse said...

I'm not convinced that cameras are better. They do offer some advantages, but I would prefer that mirrors be supplemented with rather than replace by cameras. My daughter-in-law's minivan has a rear view camera, and I still use the mirrors and turn around to look behind me when I'm driving her car.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks. We now have a car with a camera. It does help, but we use mirrors, too.