License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, January 06, 2008

"I Want a Principle Within," by Charles Wesley

Last year was the 300th anniversary of Charles Wesley's birth. Wesley wrote many hymns. One that is occasionally sung, and makes a good selection for the new year, is "I Want a Principle Within." These are the words, as posted by the Cyberhymnal:

I want a principle within of watchful, godly fear,
A sensibility of sin, a pain to feel it near.
I want the first approach to feel of pride or wrong desire,
To catch the wandering of my will, and quench the kindling fire.

From Thee that I no more may stray, no more Thy goodness grieve,
Grant me the filial awe, I pray, the tender conscience give.
Quick as the apple of an eye, O God, my conscience make;
Awake my soul when sin is nigh, and keep it still awake.

Almighty God of truth and love, to me Thy power impart;
The mountain from my soul remove, the hardness from my heart.
O may the least omission pain my reawakened soul,
And drive me to that blood again, which makes the wounded whole.

Apparently there were only three verses, which is quite short for a Wesley hymn!

These words were published in 1749, hence are public domain.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: