License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

God and chance

I wasn't supposed to be posting, but found something too good to pass up on, and that should be passed on.

Uncommon Descent (which I haven't been reading) is an Intelligent Design blog, and someone posting there apparently said that anyone who argues that God may have used evolutionary processes in making living things to be the way they are is a "spineless appeaser." Stephen Matheson posted a response, which includes the following:
2. I'm astonished by the casual claim that "Darwinian evolution" is "out of God's control" because of the role of "chance." Leaving aside some pretty clear statements about chance and God's providence in Scripture, I find the statement to be either a tautology ("Darwinian evolution is out of God's control because Darwin/Dawkins said it was") or a pronouncement regarding God's sovereignty that is anathema to me as a Christian (and especially as a Reformed Christian). In grumpier moods, or after reading some of the more obnoxious comments on this blog, I would suggest that such talk approaches blasphemy, but in any case I would not count myself among Christians who talk that way about God's world and his work. It's one thing to say you don't buy the Darwinian explanation, or to say that you're confused about the working of God's purposes in the midst of seemingly random events; it's another to declare that there are processes that God can't "control."

Indeed!

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Grasshopper said...

Wow!

Martin LaBar said...

Wow! indeed.

Thanks.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Martin,
Sorry to be off the subject, but I wanted to apologize for publishing your picture without listing your name, and I didn't see an email address. If you look back at my old posts, you'll see that I try very hard to give credit where due to the photographers when they've requested the creative commons agreement. I am currently away from home, posted in a hurry, and must have missed the fact that your picture had the creative commons agreement mark. Please accept my sincere apology!

Feel free to contact me at becky@rebeccasramsey.com
Becky