License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Simplicity: a decision point

There is no article on "Simple," by and of itself, in the Wikipedia. Perhaps it's too simple? Dictionary.com, on the contrary, has no less than 24 meanings for the word. I'm going to continue, simply, if you please, as if meaning 13 is the only one. That meaning is "unlearned; ignorant."

Simplicity, in this sense, although perhaps not exactly a virtue in the Bible, may at least be a launching pad for maturity and wisdom.

The English Standard Version (All Bible quotations in this post are from that version.) has 20 verses containing the word, "simple." One of them is in Job, three are in Psalms, and the other sixteen are in Proverbs.

Psalm 116:6
indicates that God takes special care of the simple: "The Lord preserves the simple;
when I was brought low, he saved me."

Psalm 19:7
and Psalm 119:30 indicate that God provides ways for the simple to be made wise.

Proverbs 9 sets out a picture of a contrast. God invites the simple to partake of His wisdom, but the enemy invites them to partake of his folly.

If you are intelligent enough to read and understand the words of this post, you (and I) are intelligent enough to seek wisdom, not ignorance. We don't need to remain simple.

I posted later on what the New Testament says about this topic.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'd to see an extension. What about simple not as mental capacity, but as a lifestyle? What I decided to be simple and not want too much? Just an alternative thought for you to play with.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, superrustyfly. I'm not sure I'm qualified to do that.