License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I'm thankful for refraction!

refraction - ball point pen in water
 I'm thankful for refraction. Without it, the ball point pen above would have appeared to be quite straight. As a matter of fact, it was quite straight. But when light travels from one medium to another (water and air in this case), and the velocity of light in the two mediums is not the same, we can get refraction, the bending of light. Without this phenomenon, the camera that I used to take this picture wouldn't have worked, and without it, your eyes wouldn't have been able to see the image properly. Lenses in cameras and eyes (and eyeglasses and contacts) use refraction in order to function. (I know, there was some refraction when the light went between the glass and the air, or the water and the glass, or the glass and the water, but let's not go there!)

Refraction is an amazing phenomenon, and I'm grateful for it!

2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...


Really cool refraction picture too!

And yes, my brain had already gone there - - - but then it's all "good" since all that refracting WORKS.)

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Keetha!