License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Predestination, foreknowledge and choice

Predestination, foreknowledge, and free choice
The above graphic is an attempt to illustrate a controversial and complex subject, predestination, foreknowledge, and free choice. (The word, eternity, isn't completely shown in the illustration, on purpose, to symbolize the boundlessness of eternity.) The graphic should serve as a link to the original graphic on Flickr. Flickr members, at least, and perhaps others -- I'm not sure -- can see larger sizes of the graphic, by clicking on the magnifying glass icon above the graphic on its Flickr page. There is no password required to view Flickr pictures.

I believe that the Bible teaches that people have the ability to choose, at least in some areas. Here's some of the evidence.

The Bible also teaches predestination, for example in the verses quoted above, which are from Romans 8:
28 For whom he foreknew, he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 29 Whom he predestined, those he also called. Whom he called, those he also justified. Whom he justified, those he also glorified. (World English Bible, public domain)

As I understand things, God is outside of time. Consider this: I think that Jane Smith is going to enter a situation that I wish to pray about, at two in the afternoon, and pray for this at that time. However, without my knowledge, the situation actually occurred three hours earlier. God could have taken my praying into account when influencing the situation, even though I hadn't prayed yet when it happened, because God knew that I would, and, in fact, God had experience my prayer when the event happened. God's knowledge, or foreknowledge, doesn't mean that I didn't have a choice about whether to pray. I did. But God knew that I would.

The graphic incorporates an image of General George Washington crossing the Delaware. I modified it by rotating it horizontally.

Thanks for looking! Make right choices.

4 comments:

Weekend Fisher said...

You do your own graphics? Cool. I wish I had your talent along those lines. :)

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

Martin LaBar said...

Yes, I do. (I didn't do the painting of Washington crossing the Delaware!) Talent, maybe. Corel Draw is most helpful.

Thanks.

FYT said...

I think the best way predestination has been explained to me is that … We are human. We don't have any concept of the infinite (other than God) <-- some of us don't have even that.

I was told to think of my life as a book in progress. The author usually knows the general beginning and the general end. The rest is unwritten. God, the father is the author of creation and salvation. Your beginning and end is already "in mind" <--- but scaled cosmically what is the ending? Without a timeline, it's already happened.

Love your symbology of eternity being boundless.

Martin LaBar said...

That makes as much sense as anything I've heard. Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment!