License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Friday, July 17, 2015

Genetically Modified foods are safe to eat

Slate has published a thorough study of the opposition to genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food, and found that such foods are safe to eat, and, in some cases, safer than crops that haven't been so modified.

There has been at least one unfortunate case where anti-GMO activists have prevented poor people in poor countries from receiving health benefits easily and cheaply.

There are legitimate concerns about who sells GMOs, or herbicides designed to work with them, and about the development of resistant weeds, but neither of these have to do with the safety of GMOs in your morning cereal, etc.

Thanks for reading. Read Slate.

2 comments:

FancyHorse said...

Interesting, and somewhat comforting. I don't look for non-GMO or GMO foods, but since I buy my usual brands at the grocery stores, I probably do eat GMO food,. So far, it doesn't seem to be harmful.

(I didn't read the entire article; it got a little too technical for me.)

Martin LaBar said...

It's thorough.

We probably do eat GMO-containing foods.

Thanks.