License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Monday, July 20, 2015

The purpose of learning

The purpose of learning 
The graphic above is, as you can see, based on Isaiah 50:4a The Lord Yahweh has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with words him who is weary.

No doubt you can think of some other words that God might want those of us who know a little something to use to sustain the weary, but these 12 were what came to my mind: belonging, comfort, forgiveness, freedom, grace, guidance, hope, joy, love, mercy, peace and purpose.

Two other passages about the importance of a "word" came to mind:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God.

1 Corinthians 12:4 Now there are various kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 8a For to one is given through the Spirit the word of wisdom, and to another the word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit;


The first passage refers to Christ, Himself, as the Word. The second indicates that being able to speak a word of wisdom, or a word of knowledge, are spiritual gifts.


A word (sorry!) of warning: 1 Corinthians 8:Now concerning things sacrificed to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 

Jesus indicated that He, Himself, was the answer for those who are burdened: Matthew 11:28  “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. 29  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. 30  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Thanks for reading! Sustain the weary. There are plenty of them. What they really need is examples of Christ-like love.

2 comments:

FancyHorse said...

Nicely done! You put together several truths all in one place.

Martin LaBar said...

Thank you. That was my hope.