License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Sunspots 529

Things I have recently spotted that may be of interest to someone else:


Christianity: Ken Schenck tells us that there is no one, correct form of church government.
 
Health: National Public Radio reports that doctors are considerably less likely to die in hospitals, with aggressive end-of-life care, than the general public.


Humor: (or tragedy) Relevant says that bubble wrap is going to disappear.


Politics: (and history) The Washington Post on how history has been distorted in favor of the confederacy. For example, there are 72 Confederate monuments in Kentucky, and only 2 for the Union, even though the state sent nearly three times as many soldiers to the Union side. Also, the article points out that the South was against State's Rights, at least State's Rights in the North.


A Relevant writer asks if Patriotism can become idolatry. Short answer -- "yes."



Science: Wired says that we should beware of the tarantula hawk wasp.

 
Wired also tells us how sunscreen works.

Image source (public domain)

2 comments:

FancyHorse said...

In Ken Schenk's article, I especially liked this sentence, "This observation suggests that God is far more concerned with the attitude of our hearts than the beliefs of our heads or even our specific church practices." (in his point #5)

Interesting article about end of life care. Much to think about.

I'll miss bubble wrap. Once, when my sons were teens, they gave me a roll of bubble wrap as a gift. The gift itself, not the wrapping! They knew I loved to pop the little bubbles!

Interesting article about the Civil War. I knew it was about slavery; economics and states rights were only excuses. Poor excuses, after all, the economy was built on slavery, and the state's right they were interested in was the right to own, buy and sell slaves. I did not know that the lies were taught and believed nationally. I'm still not sure that's right.

I have written a blog post on the controversy of the Confederate flag.

I liked the last sentence in the article on patriotism: "But we must remember that as Christians, our true story is one without political boundaries and national identities, where swords are beat into plowshares and the poor are blessed."

An awful yet funny article on tarantula wasps.

The sunscreen article was good, too. More about how we get sunburnt, as well as how sunscreens work. I remember the old "suntan lotion" we used as kids, which was nothing more than moisturizer.

I always enjoy reading your "Sunspots."

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks for your thorough response! I commented on a recent post by you.